- Braillecast, Episode 6 – Scott Davert
In this episode we hear from Scott Davert from the US. Scott is a braille advocate and deafblind specialist and sits on the Disability Advisory Committee of the Federal Communications Commission. As well as this, he actively promotes braille in the Applevis community, and has recently written a series of braille display reviews which have been published by Accessworld from the American Foundation for the Blind. In the UK, his expertise are shared through the RNIB Connect website. The conversation covers a wide range of braille issues including the state of braille, quality control issues faced by blind students, and a round-up of some recent braille products.
Links of Interest
- Reach out and Touch the new Braille Features in iOS 11 Podcast on AppleVis
- New iOS 11 accessibility features for people with sight loss on RNIB Connect
- Feel This: Current State of Braille in Narratorfrom Access World magazine
- VarioUltra User Group on Free Lists
- Subscribe to the Orbit Reader 20 email list by sending a blank email to email@example.com
- FCC Disability Advisory Committee
- Help on installing and enabling BrailleBack from Android Accessibility
- Help on pairing a braille display with your Fire Tablet from Amazon
- Dot Watch
- APH product page for Orbit Reader 20
- Braille Me
- Canute from Bristol Braille Technology CIC
- Actalino from Help Tech
- New Focus braille displays from Freedom Scientific
- New Brailliant braille display from Humanware
- Recent posts by Scott on AppleVis
BrailleCast is an independent podcast celebrating the world’s most successful tactile reading system.
Braille represents competency, independence, and equality. Whether you are a Braille reader, Braille teacher, parent to a blind child or someone with a casual interest in Braille, we hope BrailleCast will encourage you to adopt and promote the value of Braille.
Listen to recent BrailleCast episodes below and join the conversation at Braillists.org