Based in Boston Massachusetts since 1927, National Braille Press is a global leader in producing high quality, affordable braille materials and developing innovative technologies advancing braille literacy for blind and visually impaired children and adults everywhere. In addition to its first class braille transcription facility, producing everything from standardised tests to restaurant menus, NBP has a unique specialism in publishing original books by blind authors expressly for blind people, from cookery to technology. It also provides braille transcription and production services to like-minded organizations and, through the Centre for Braille Innovation, overseas the annual Touch of Genius Prize for Innovation.
In adapting to public health guidelines designed to minimise the spread of COVID-19, National Braille Press has found safe ways to produce braille for the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (part of the Library of Congress), is offering free digital downloads for both children and adults until 31 August 2020, and continues to supply original titles explaining food delivery and preparation options from a blindness perspective. On Friday 15 May, the Braillists Foundation was privileged to host Brian MacDonald, NBP’s President, on its weekly Stay Safe: Stay Connected conference call, and participants had the opportunity to ask questions about how more high quality braille is finding its way into the hands of more readers throughout these challenging times. We’re pleased to present a recording of that session on this episode of Braillecast, with sincere thanks to Brian and all of the contributors for their permission.
To contact Brian, email [email protected]. If you’re an aspiring author and would like National Braille Press to consider publishing your work, email [email protected] or view the Frequently Asked Questions on the NBP website.
Links of Interest
- NBP Book Store
- Braillo Norway, manufacturers of high speed production braille embossers
- NBP Tours
- Boston Globe article about NBP
- Sightsavers International
- A Sighted Man’s Path to Braille from the “Inside NBP” blog
- Braille Me affordable braille display
- NBP Events
- Cooking with Feeling by Deborah DeBord
- Dr. Atkins Carbohydrate Gram Counter by Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
- Recipes from my Kitchen: Asian and American Comfort Food by Christine Ha
- Super Short Stories in Uncontracted Braille
- Braille books update
Touch of Genius Prize Winners
- Bristol Braille Technology Canute 360, 2018
- Tactile Caliper (imperial version), 2013
- Tactile Caliper (metric version), an extension of the 2013 idea